Holyhead

Coronavirus: advice for visiting Anglesey

View Coronavirus Advice


The origins of Holyhead (Caergybi) date from 450AD, when Celtic King Caswallon defeated Irish invaders on Holy Island.

The port of Holyhead is the busiest UK Irish ferry port and is home to the largest seagoing ferry in the World.  There are good views over the port from the grounds of St Cybi’s church, from where there is also a good view of skinners monument on Alltran rock. This obelisk was erected by the people of Holyhead in memory of Captain John Mcgregor Skiner, a benefactor to the town’s poor who was washed overboard from his ship in 1832

In the town centre, St Cybi’s Church founded in about 550AD, stands on the site of the Roman fort of Caer Gybi and is still surrounded by the original fort wall.  The surrounding area has many prehistoric sites, including the Neolithic Trefignath Burial Chamber 1.5 miles South East of the town. The late Neolithic or early Bronze age Tŷ mawr Hut group on the south slope of Holyhead mountain  close to south stack.

There are excellent coastal walks at the Breakwater Country Park, these include audio trails, a new open gallery within the old brick shed, and themed walks.  The breakwater country park along with the RSPB visitor centre in Ellins Tower, South Stack are popular bird watching centres.

Holyhead has a fine selection of pubs and restaurants, as well as a good choice of shops, and out of town shopping centre.